Friday, May 21, 2010

My Momma's Gonna Knock You Out ... In The Kitchen!

Whoever dares to challenge my momma in the kitchen is for sure going dowwwnnn! One of the reasons why I look forward to the weekends is because she has the time to dedicate her mad culinary skills to cooking these delicious Vietnamese meals! The Phan household smells so darn good, it's out of this world! Her yummy rice noodles in a fresh tomato broth with shrimp, fish balls and short ribs, garnished always with cilantro.

Another delightful treat she made was this yellow bean and pork, spinach dumping, covered in sticky rice. I have no idea what the name of this is - but I just made one right up! It's the perfect thing to eat for breakfast, a snack, or even a few for dinner. My friend JS was quite impressed!

Another item on the menu (which my mom just recently started cooking) are these petite salty pork rolls, made to eat with a bland noodle or rice dish. Hand made and rolled in these mint/basil leaves (am unsure because I didn't see the package but if you know, tell me!), and pan fried to keep all the ingredients held together. mmMMmm, I am one lucky gal!


5 comments:

  1. Those rice spinach "dumpling" thingys are called "beng cook"...lol! and my momma can challenge ur momma anyday, lol. Only in the viet food department though

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL JV, didn't know if it was appropriate to write 'beng cook' but you are right! LOL, well I wasn't looking for a challenge within the family but BRING IT ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, my dad makes a variation of that tomato noodle soup thing but your mom's look so much better with the fish balls and shrimp and pork spareribs. I should show him that picture to give him an idea... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, you should show your dad! my mom keeps asking me why I take pictures of her food and I tried to explain blogging but I don't know if she completely gets it! and uh-oh, don't tell me we have another family challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, there's not going to be a family challenge coming from me. I think that all the aunts and uncles in the Wong family pretty much makes the same food with minor variations. but I do want to eat that bowl of noodles...

    ReplyDelete