Tuesday, August 3, 2010

German Haus with a German Bombshell :)

For part 3 of our cultural culinary nights with my luvas, we trooped over to the German Haus for some good ol' hearty food. To start, RHM brought over some bacon wrapped dates oozing with blue cheese, oven baked to a crisp. They were so good, she brought them again to Part 4! (stay tuned for more details...)

For the entree, the German bombshell TS outdid herself. She made our tummies happy with some home-made-with-love rinder (beef) rouladen which is thinly pounded beef, slow cooked and wrapped with a pickle and bacon inside. Her delicious sides included sauerkraut (of course), simmered in thick gravy for 1.5 hours, rotkohl (red cabbage), and bratwurst simmered in a frying pan with the sauerkraut. Just the right amount of meat paired with savoury sides - that's how we luvas do it up!

Heidi, (oops, I mean TS), also served gurkensalat (cucumber salad) that was mixed with the strongest vinegar I've ever smelled in my life. We all took short far away whiffs and slammed our backs into the walls from the toxic smell and I'm sure our nose hairs were burned and numbed for the night too. Girls, back me up here! What an experience! :)

8 comments:

  1. Haha thanks Irene! Hilarious review and I'm glad you all loved the food. It's a hit and miss with German food - either you love it or you don't. I look forward to your cultural food night!
    xoxo TS aka Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some potent vinegar. Nose hairs beware lol. Really craving heids food again that pickle was a little surprise. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE LOVED YOUR FOOD TS!!! Little surprise, haha! I love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure! My nose hairs will never be the sameeeee! Topped even the food I had in Germany TS, mmmmm!

    Great review girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL thanks Whit! Just waiting for Roxy and Olivia to make an appearance now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - it was so good! I thought Lauren was on blog hiatus due to recent adventures and recovery period from Vegas and all the pamplemousses.

    Must have another culture night soon please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I go on weird hiatuses for sure ... and the pamplemousses ... yummy! Yes we have to plan one very very soon ... waiting on Roxy now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMmm! GLad to see you are back and posting!!

    I will forever remember that dish as pickle surprise!

    ReplyDelete