Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Summer Salmon in a Basil Mussel Broth

Seriously, can my food life get any better? Restaurant quality cooking (in most cases, even better) in the comfort of my sister's home. I get served like a king, JC does the dishes and I just kick back and relax while I instantly reminisce about the amazing meal I just had. That just made me sound like a big fat slob but I just love getting pampered at my big sister's place! I hope these blog posts show my gratitude for it. This day, I share with you, my experience with her Cornmeal Crusted Salmon in a Basil Mussel Broth. That's right, we're high class baby, and living large! (She is, anyway.)

Straight from Michael Smith's 'The Best of Chef at Home' cookbook, here's how!

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs, mussels
  • Splash of white wine
  • Splash of heavy cream
  • 2 tbls of basil pesto
  • 1 cup of fine cornmeal (important to use fine cornmeal, coarse does not coat as well)
  • S&P
  • Skinless salmon fillets
  • Vegetable Oil
Directions (Broth):
  • Toss mussels, wine and cream in stockpot and cook until mussel shells pop open
  • Cool mussels so you can shuck them
  • Strain the broth and throw the mussels back in and put aside until ready to serve salmon


Directions (Salmon):
  • Toss salmon, one at a time, in a large resealable bag with cornmeal, S&P
  • Add cooking oil in pre-heated pan
  • Add the crusted salmon fillets and pan-fry until golden on the first side (about 5 minutes), then turn and crisp other side
Serve finished salmon with a ladleful of preheated mussel broth.

LC makes everything sound easy but she is just a natural cook and knows her way around the kitchen. I would be slightly afraid to try something like this but I will definitely give this recipe a whirl someday! Of course we added a few sides to go with this entree. Some mini skewers of grape tomatoes, bocconcini and basil, a fresh Caesar salad, a bread loaf from Steveston and my panko crusted prawns! Oh, and some watered down frozen orange juice to wash it all down, my fave! :)


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... I love looking at your blog because I can get ideas from past recipes! And I sure hope by "living large", you don't mean you-know-what because I am still in disbelief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, of course I didn't mean that ... I meant living large with the benjis!!! $$$

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you post instructions Irene... it inspires us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ro, if you ever give any of these recipes a try, let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete