Wednesday, June 2, 2010

'Jamaican Me Hungry' at The Reef!

The Reef on Commercial Drive. The perfect place to brunch on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Feeling like you're dining in a straw hut, reggae tunes in your ear and the best comfort food in the block, it was the best way to treat my taste buds. Here you see their famous johnny cakes served with coconut butter. PLUS, if you go on the weekends, the insides are filled with bananas! What could be better? My sister one time had a mango surprise in hers! YUMMY!

The Reef also usually has a smoothie special on weekends as well. This time, I slurped on a mango, pineapple, strawberry, banana smoothie and WOW, seriously WOW. It was the most delicious smoothie I've had in a while, complimented my meal quite nicely.

Now for their daily special, jerk salmon omelet with a cream cheese sauce served with toast and jam. I honestly have not had such a good restaurant food experience since The Flying Tiger. All of the flavors just intertwined so well - I was amazed!

I also shared their trini roti filled with their jerk tofu, served with a side of fresh coleslaw. Jerk anything is delicious! I would also recommend their Island Thyme Chicken, Fried Chicken and Calypso Oxtail. Chill environment, best reggae jams a restaurant in Vancouver has to offer, in the neighborhood AND tasty, filling food? I'LL BE BACK!

PS - I'm sorry to have taken such a long food blogging hiatus! I promise to never leave you pigs stranded for this long ever again!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to go there! Love the reef! I'll definitely have to try that drink too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let's go soon and another perk of going to The Reef is that there is an awesome tarot reader just 1 block down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad I'll miss him I'm going to the one on main tonight. So excited. Was the trini roti really spicy. Last time I couldn't eat too much of it cause I was burning up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! The trini roti was super spicy! But the smoothie helped to cool us down ...

    ReplyDelete