Thursday, June 3, 2010

Behold the All Mighty Pot of Pho!

Nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of my momma's home made Pho. Unless it's a hot summer day, then it's just torturous. Brewing for at least 4 hours, the chicken & pork bones, ginger, garlic, chicken stock, fish sauce, S&P to taste and some secret goodness, makes for an amazing soup base. Clear pho broth is the best kind, if you can't see through your broth at a Vietnamese restaurant, be worried. (I heard a rumour once that if you don't finish all your soup, they just pour it back into the big pot in the kitchen to re-use, ew!)

Behold! My mom 'Susan Vuong' aka ' Mai Tuyet Voung's mouthwatering, soul satisfying, would- climb-mountains-for, Beef Pho. Topped with fresh parsley and fresh squeezed lemon juice, this dish is good to go. My mom got her English name Susan from her siblings who decided to crown her with that name after she perfected her bowl of Pho. The name was taken from a 'famous chef Susan' in Vietnam to which inspired my mom's zest for cooking this delicious staple in Vietnamese cuisine. I love it when my mom mixes it up and adds chicken, seafood or ox tail to this dish - mmMMmm!

And of course the meal wouldn't be complete without the above sauces. A red chili hot sauce 'rooster brand' and a strong fish sauce to give that bowl of Pho that extra 'zing'!

4 comments:

  1. WOW.

    It's Pho like this that really makes me wish I was a true PHAN BRO.

    It looks simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur an honorary Phan bro which means you can dine here whenever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gangsta! your mom uses "three crabs" fish sauce? NICE. That be one delicious and expensive bottle of nuoc mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, it's my dad who makes the purchase so you saying 'gangsta!' is VERY appropriate! He did mention that it was super expensive but that it was dang worth it! Glad someone took notice!!

    ReplyDelete